The cloud-modeling group at the Faculty of Physics, University of Warsaw seeks candidates for a 34 months long postdoctoral position in our research groups Microphysics of Clouds and Cloud Dynamics and Atmospheric Turbulence.
The position includes involvement in Storms and Radiation part of the project HORIZON 2020 project entitled Next Generation Earth Modelling Systems (NextGEMS).
When explicitly resolving convective clouds, instead of parametrising them, it becomes all the more important to realistically represent in-cloud turbulent mixing and cloud microphysics, which remain parametrized at storm-resolving scales. A long-term goal is to improve the realism of these processes. Modeled cloud properties will be analyzed in order to identify flaws due to improper representation of turbulent mixing and cloud microphysics. The University of Warsaw Lagrangian Cloud Model (UWLCM) will be used in this research.
The successful candidate will work in close collaboration with other partners of NextGEMS.
Applicants should have a PhD in Physics, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, or a related field.
Scientific programming skills are essential. Experience in numerical modeling of turbulent flows, and/or atmospheric flows will be appreciated, experience in cloud modeling or in Lagrangian particle modeling will be an additional advantage. The candidate must also possess a very good command of written and spoken English.
If interested, send please a brief research statement, CV, and the contact information of two references to
Prof. Hanna Pawlowska ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Prof. Szymon Malinowski ( email@example.com )
This position is open and will remain open until a suitable candidate has been found.
Selected candidates will be subjects of the formal recruitment procedure at the University of Warsaw
• Research Group Microphysics of Clouds (https://www.igf.fuw.edu.pl/en/projects/research-groups/mikrofizyka-chmur/)
• Research Group Cloud Dynamics and Atmospheric Turbulence (https://www.igf.fuw.edu.pl/en/projects/research-groups/dynamika-chmur-i-turbulencja-atmosfery/)
• Turbulent dynamics and microphysics in a Stochastic Lagrangian Cloud Model (https://www.igf.fuw.edu.pl/en/projects/138/)
• NextGEMS (https://nextgems-h2020.eu)
• Storms and Radiation in NextGEMS (https://nextgems-h2020.eu/research/stormsand-radiation)
Originally published on - Sept. 6, 2021, 10:35 a.m.
Last update on - Sept. 6, 2021, 10:53 a.m.
Publisher - Sekretariat IGF