INSTITUTION: The University of Warsaw, Faculty of Physics, Institute of Geophysics
CITY: WARSAW, POLAND
DISCIPLINE: Physical sciences and/or Earth and environmental sciences
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
POSTED: 22 April 2022
EXPIRES: 30 May 2022
KEY WORDS: physics, atmospheric sciences, Earth science
Postdoctoral Research Assistant in sub-grid scale cloud processes in the Next Generation Earth Modelling Systems
The cloud-modeling group at the Faculty of Physics, University of Warsaw invites applications for a postdoctoral position. The post holder is expected to join our team for 24 months with the possible extension to 36 months
The successful candidate will join our research groups Microphysics of Clouds and Cloud Dynamics and Atmospheric Turbulence and work on HORIZON 2020 project entitled Next Generation Earth Modelling Systems (NextGEMS).
The University of Warsaw is involved in the Storms and Radiation part of the project.
When explicitly resolving convective clouds, instead of parametrising them, it becomes all the more important to realistically represent in-cloud turbulent mixing and cloud microphysics, which remain parametrized at storm-resolving scales. A long-term goal is to improve the realism of these processes. Modeled cloud properties will be analyzed in order to identify flaws due to improper representation of turbulent mixing and cloud microphysics
The successful candidate will work in close collaboration with other partners of NextGEMS.
Applicants should have a PhD in Physics, Mathematics, Mechanical Engineering, Atmospheric sciences or a related field.
Experience in the interpretation and analysis of data on atmospheric turbulence, cloud thermodynamics and microphysics and time series analysis is essential. Important is a practice in MATLAB or a similar environment used in data analysis, experience in airborne atmospheric measurements is appreciated. The candidate must also possess a very good command of written and spoken English.
The candidate is required to hold a PhD degree by the date of appointment.
The candidates have to conform to the conditions stated in art. 113 of Higher Education Law dated 20.07.2018 (Journal of Laws of the Republic of Poland 2021, item 478).
The applications should include a CV detailing the candidate's experience and research track record. A cover letter outlining the motivation and providing the names of two reference persons is also requested.
1. PhD in science or engineering,
2. good background in physics or in earth and environmental sciences (atmospheric physics, cloud measurements, turbulence),
3. experience in atmospheric measurements including analysis of data on turbulence, cloud microphysics and thermodynamics,
4. valuable is experience from field measurements in the atmosphere;
5. good knowledge of MATLAB or similar environment used in data analysis;
6. knowledge of time series analysis in the context of turbulent flows.
The candidate should provide the following documents:
Candidates should submit their applications to the Secretariat of the Institute of Geophysics, Faculty of Physics, University of Warsaw, Pasteura 5, 02-093 Warszawa, room B4.41, e-mail: Sekretariat.IGF@fuw.edu.pl including:
1. Application for the position.
2. CV with contact information.
3. List of research publications, including a number of citations according to the Web of Science database and a short description of the three most important achievements.
4. Detailed information on the candidate’s scientific career.
5. Copy of PhD diploma or a formal confirmation of PhD degree (required at the time of employment).
6. Contact information to at least two scientists who can provide opinions on the candidate.
7. A filled-in form: Information on the processing of personal data - information clause and consent clause - attachment to the announcement (available on the website https://bsp.adm.uw.edu.pl/wp-content/uploads/sites/18/2021/01/Klauzula-informacyjna-przy-rekrutacji-do-pracy_11_2019_EN.docx. In case of submitting the application by e-mail, please use the pdf-format and the file should contain a scanned signature.
8. Statement on reading and accepting the rules for job applications for a position of an academic teacher at the University of Warsaw (available on the website https://www.fuw.edu.pl/dokumenty-i-formularze.html) In case of submitting the application by e-mail, please use the pdf-format and the file should contain a scanned signature.
The documents listed above as 1-4 and 7-8 should be signed by the candidate.
Questions concerning the post should be addressed to prof. Szymon Malinowski email@example.com or prof Hanna Pawlowska firstname.lastname@example.org.
The decision will be taken no later than 8 June 2022. The candidate may be asked for a qualification interview with the commission appointed by the Dean of the Faculty of Physics. The candidates will be informed individually.
Original documents will be required in case of employment.
This announcement is the first step in the procedure of employing an academic teacher and its positive result will be a base for consecutive steps.
Originally published on - April 26, 2022, 9 a.m.
Last update on - May 9, 2022, 9:19 a.m.
Publisher - Sekretariat IGF