Faculty of Physics University of Warsaw in the framework of OPUS 19 project: “Stably-Stratified Atmospheric Boundary Layer: Beyond the standard Monin and Obukhov Approach”
one 6-month master student grant
The present project will develop a basic description of the atmospheric boundary layer (ABL) that goes beyond the standard Monin–Obukhov approach. This description is a receipt for evaluating mean ABL quantities, especially vertical transports of heat, moisture, and momentum. The project is based on a basic premise that any physical phenomena (ABL in the present project) can be understood by examining the structures of its governing equations. Investigations will follow already well-established methodologies in applied mathematics: nondimensionalization and the symmetry analysis.
- good background on atmospheric physics, fluid mechanics and turbulence. Well seen is a previous experience in numerical modeling and analysis of measurement data.
- the candidate should be a master student (student in second cycle) in Physics, Technical Physics or similar discipline
- recruitment follows the rules for awarding scholarships set out in the Regulations for the awarding of scholarships in research projects financed from the resources of the National Science Center (annex to the resolution of the NCN Council 25/2019 of 14 March 2019 r.)
- analysis of data from measurement campaigns, identifying regions where turbulence is out of equilibrium due to rapidly changing external conditions
- numer of scholarships: 1
- scholarship: 3000 PLN per month
- duration: 6 months, from January 1st, 2022
- submission deadline: December 10th, 2021
- In the case of students from outside the Republic of Poland, the scholarship does not cover the costs of tuition fees or removal costs.
- The candidate should provide the following documents by e-mail to the Secretariat IGF, Faculty of Physics, University of Warsaw e-mail: Sekretariat.IGF@fuw.edu.pl :
- Application for the position required together with the acceptance for the treatment of personal data - the information clause and the consent clause attached to the announcement. In case of submitting the application by e-mail, please use the pdf-format and the file should contain a scanned signature.
- The acquired diploma (Bsc) and information about students career.
- Current CV and the list of publications
- Contact details of two persons who can provide information about the candidate.
- In case of foreigners outside of EU, EFTA and the countries that are signatories to the Convention on the Recognition of Qualifications concerning Higher Education in the European Region - a document certifying a diploma in the territory of the Republic of Poland (https://nawa.gov.pl/en/recognition/recognition-for-academic-purposes/applying-for-admission-to-doctoral-studies).
The candidate, in case of being accepted, will be required to present the originals of all the documents.
The entire procedure will be concluded before 15th of December, 2021. The candidate might be asked for an interview with the recruitment commission. The candidate will be notified of the result of his/her application by e-mail.
Additional information about the project: dr Marta Waclawczyk, email@example.com, tel. 22 55 32 037.
Originally published on - Nov. 24, 2021, 2:05 p.m.
Last update on - Nov. 24, 2021, 3 p.m.
Publisher - Sekretariat IGF