AEROSOL RESEARCH NETWORK Poland-AOD
The main goal of the PolandAOD research network, which was established on 26 October 2011, is to conduct ongoing measurements and studies of aerosol physical and optical properties with an emphasis on radiative balance. The network consists of the following stations:
- Radiative Transfer Laboratory at the Institute of Geophysics, Physics Department of the University of Warsaw (central Poland),
- Research Station at the Institute of Oceanology Polish Academy of Sciences in Sopot (Baltic coast),
- SolarAOT Research Station for the studies of Radiative Transfer in Strzyzow (south of Poland).
- Meteorology and Climatology Observatory at Nicolaus Copernicus University in Torun
- EcoForecast Foundation
1) Experimental studies and modeling of direct aerosol effect (at ground and top of the atmosphere) in/over Poland.
2) Description of climatology of aerosol optical properties over Poland.
Studies of transformation of aerosol optical properties from observations and
transport models (NAAPS, GEM-AQ).
4) Validation of reverse methods to determine aerosol optical depth and single scattering albedo using satellite data from the MSG-9 and ground-truth measurements.
5) Instrument calibration.
Pokaż PolandAOD na większej mapie
The PolandAOD network is partially financed from the institutes’ own resources and from the national research grants:
Temporal and spatial differentiation of radiative forcing over Poland,
decision no. 1283/B/P01/2010/38, duration: 2010-2013,
- Determination of aerosol optical properties from the synergic remote sensing measurements, decision no. 1276/B/P01/2010/38, duration: 2010-2013.
We plan to extend the network of measurements to 20-25 schools, which are active in the educational program GLOBE (Global Learning and Observations to Benefit the Environment). School students will carry out the aerosol optical depth measurements with use of easy sunphotometers.
The owners of measurement data are jointly: Institute of Geophysics Physics Department of the University of Warsaw, Institute of Oceanology Polish Academy of Sciences and the SolarAOT station. In order to use the PolandAOD data please contact the network coordinator.